Sunday, July 25, 2010

Fargo

You may download a PDF of the script here.

This is the first of the 40 screenplays that I read almost all in one sitting. I love the movie, so maybe that is why I raced through the script.

Makes you think about protagonists and heroes. Who is the hero? Probably Marge. But like Scott said, she doesn't get introduced until p. 31. Jerry is the central character, even though he's not a "good guy"- and I don't think we're rooting for him at all. He's a weenie. I'm actually hoping Jerry fails.

I don't think this script allows the reader to empathize or root for the main character. But yet, why do I still like it?

The stakes are clear early on. Jerry is paying to have his wife killed. Although it reads a little like exposition, that scene in the bar works for me. It reveals character and plot and makes me laugh as these morons try to organize their deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment