Sunday, July 25, 2010

Thelma & Louise

You may download a PDF of the script here.

First thing I found interesting: they are both heroes. Louise saves Thelma and sacrifices for her. Thelma undergoes the biggest change from a repressed housewife to a fun-loving outlaw. Each character's backstory was very important. It explained why Louise did what she did and why they couldn't go to the police. And it gave us another angle to relate to these characters instead of just two girls running from the law.

What a great ending. Iconic. And I love how the BB King song ends the script. Beautiful.

My favorite part: (P. 111) Louise asks Thelma if she's awake. "Wide awake. I don't remember ever feelin' this awake. Everything looks different...Everything looks new. Do you feel like that? Like you've got something to look forward to?"

I'm working on a rom-com script and I'm struggling with the idea of having a happy ending. I want to capture real life and real life doesn't always have a happy ending. This script is a great example of another way to give us a happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment